How To Protect Your Privacy On Public Wi-Fi Networks
We live in a digital era and the internet has become a crucial part of everyday life. Especially for the digital nomad who may need to be online throughout the day to complete their remote working tasks. Public Wi-Fi can be a lifesaver to the online entrepreneur but there are many risks that they must also be aware of when using these public Wi-Fi hotspots.
It is very important when using these networks with your laptops and smartphones that you know how to protect your personal information and privacy online. In this post we will look at some of the best ways about how to protect your privacy on public Wi-Fi. Because whether you are in your home town or travelling abroad, personal protection is a must.
- Always search for the best software updates because this is one of the best ways to protect your privacy online against hackers and cybercriminals. If you run updates for your computer operating system and web browsers and choose the software programs that offer the best privacy features this will certainly help you to protect your privacy while using public Wi-Fi networks.
- Closing or turning off all features that include shared files and further file-sharing options before logging on and using public Wi-Fi networks. This will help to protect your privacy when using your laptops and smartphones. Sharing files can be an awesome way to collaborate with your work colleagues but it is a risky business on public networks in Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Adjusting your personal privacy settings on your laptop and smartphone will help you to protect your privacy online. By ensuring that they are different for public and private networks is a shrewd move. It will protect your information from falling into the wrong hands and be used for fraudulent purposes.
- Add layers of security to all of your personal accounts is a great way to defend and to protect your privacy while using public Wi-Fi hotspots. By enabling at least a two-factor authentication that contain personal information it will make it much more difficult for anyone to access your files.
- Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is another great way to protect your privacy while using laptops or smartphones to access public Wi-Fi networks at home or abroad. It is an effective way to protect all your personal information when you are logged on. You can do this by downloading a VPN application for your laptop or mobile device before connecting to any Wi-Fi hotspot. It will reroute your traffic through secure and encrypted networks which will assure personal, privacy protection.
- To be safe it may be best to avoid signing in to any accounts that contain personal information that may be used for fraudulent purposes. This could include your social media accounts, email and online banking, etc.
- Making sure that the URL you are visiting is also encrypted while you are working online will provide active security measures to keep your privacy from unwanted and prying eyes. Knowing how to identify a website that may be unsecure is one of the best ways to fight against cybercriminals. You can do this by checking if there is a closed padlock in the search bar or by checking if the URL begins with https or http. The websites containing https use SSL encryption that provide further protection to the user.
Whatever you do and wherever you are. Whether it be at home or abroad. It would be wise to always take the correct precautions before you log in to a public Wi-Fi network and use their hotspots with your laptop or smartphone to access the internet. By taking the above precautions to secure your personal information, you are sure to combat cyberattacks of any kind. Privacy protection while working online will ensure that you stay safe on public Wi-Fi networks.
If you enjoyed this article and you’d like to offer your personal opinion about safety when using public Wi-Fi networks, then don’t be shy. Voice your thoughts in the comment section & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!